This tender pork is slow cooked for approximately 8 hours in a deliciously rich bourbon barbecue sauce.
- 1 – 2 teaspoons of canola oil
- 2 – 3 lb. pork shoulder
- 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of bourbon
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons of ketchup
- 3/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 large onion, sliced
- Salt and Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- Season the pork shoulder with salt and pepper.
- Over medium high heat, add canola oil and lightly brown the pork shoulder on all sides.
- In a small jug, mix together the dark brown sugar, bourbon, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, ketchup and smoked paprika until the sugar is dissolved.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.
- In the base of the slow cooker, layer the sliced onions.
- Place the pork shoulder on top and pour over the sauce.
- Ensure the pork is covered with the sauce, start the slow cooker and set to low.
- Let cook on LOW for 8 hours or so, until the pork is fork tender.
- Halfway through, if possible, turn the pork on the opposite side.
- Remove the cooked pork to a dish and shred the meat using two forks.
- Skim the fat from the sauce and the onions.
- Puree the onions and the sauce with a stick blender until smooth.
- Pour some of the sauce over the pulled pork until the pork is “wet”.
- Serve with mashed potato.